Layout

Monday, January 10, 2011

release the man inside of you

Now this won't be the most appitizing blog post you've ever seen... I was feeling rugged and I wanted to make my own beef jerky. It turned out so great and I wanted to share!

Now you start with this...
(HA- I had to show off this picture Jory took of one of our neighbors.)

...A couple pounds of a LEAN cut of meat. It can really be any type, just make sure it doesn't have a lot of fat in it. The meat above happens to be a "London Broil" cut. I don't know a lot about meat, and I feel funny throwing these words around like I know what I'm talking about-- but when I was googling away about Jerky, I came up with round roasts and eye round roasts are pretty great for jerky. You can even make turkey jerky... really any type so be creative.

Cut off all the fat that you can see and stick your hunk o' meat in the freezer for a few hours to firm up and make it easier to cut. Slice it however you like, but keep in mind that the pieces of meat will shrink when you dry it, so don't slice them too small. I sliced mine 1 quarter inch thick.

Now you marinate the meat.

Mix together...

2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup worcheseshriereetiree sauce aka (worchestire)
2 Tbls liquid smoke
1 Tbls Honey
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes



Then mix your meat


Me and the meat got down and dirty- then I stuck the cow in the fridge over night.

Follow your instructions on your dehydrator manual and dry accordingly.
It took mine about 6 hours.

What I learned from this experience: I'd rather eat meat than prepare it.
I also couldn't get over the fact that all you did was dry the meat and NOT cook it, that's a little weird right?

I hope I haven't turned any of you readers vegetarian.



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...that looks so delicious! I'm going to have to get me a dehydrator. I LOVE finding and trying new recipes so don't hesitate to post more of your favorites! love you.

    ReplyDelete