Layout

Monday, December 6, 2010

TIMBER!!




A short video with a LONG explanation


Fudge, christmas lights, gingerbread houses, wrapping paper and maverick's hot chocolate! All of these are things I look forward to during this time of year.

Now that we are in our in home that can actually fit a normal sized tree we decided to get a bigger tree than our 3 foot, prelit lovely that we had in our last apartment. We wanted to cut down our own tree! Sometimes we seem to bite off more than we can chew, Jor and I, but this didn't seem like something like that. My Aunt does it all the time and it always sounds so fun and festive.


So last week Jor drove his buns to Salt Lake to pick up a Christmas tree permit! Emily, my friend at work was talking about her 25$ Christmas tree from Smiths and how her whole house was smelling piney and delish, I couldn't WAIT for that.

SOO, Saturday rolled around and Jor, Scotty and I were off on our way to Vernon, Utah. We passed through Elberta and Eureka and I swear they are ghost towns. It was actually a little creepy, we wanted to stop and get a drink but it I felt like a movie scene would play out like we were intruding on this small town setting and all the people would come strolling out of their houses and accuse us for trespassing or something. Needless to say we didn't stop.

After what seemed like forever we got to the dirt road that was to lead us to our destination, loads and loads of perfect Christmas trees! The dirt road was muddy and slippery and we slid and fish tailed all over the road, me being the worry wart that I am felt like I couldn't breathe 79% of that driving time. We parked and got on the four wheeler and had a BLAST driving around. Scotty was smashed inbetween Jor and I while just cruised around looking for the perfect Christmas tree. Which, wake up call, there really aren't any "perfect" christmas trees out in the wild. There, you are warned.



All of them were too big, too thin or totally lopsided. So Jor and I meandered while Scotty was fighting with any stump or dead tree limb he could find. My phone had died, Jor's phone had died and we really didn't know where we were, we had been driving on the 4 wheeler for quite a while. I was getting worried that it was going to get dark soon, so we decided to go find the truck and then pick our tree and figure out how the heck we were going to cut it down and all that jazz. But, a minor problem occured when we pushed the idoling 4 wheelers gas and it died. REALLY? It wouldn't start. At all. We were in the middle of a BIG hill, no phones, no idea where the truck was, and it was getting dark, well almost. I was trying to think back of what I knew about fire making in the wilderness and I couldn't remember anything, I was totally panicking.



SOOO to make this long story shorter, we eventually found the truck, which took us closer to the 4 wheeler and then we were able to find a tree that we thought would work for us. A little fat and gappy, but we liked it, it even had real pine cones in it! So Jory topped the top of the tree off (we're hoping that's not illegal or something?) and my lumber jack had to carry the huge thing literally down this hill, which, was very funny and sad at the same time. I got the task of pushing the dead 4 wheeler down the hill while my 8 year old brother steered it. WOW. Atleast I got a bit of a work out right?

10$- christmas tree permit 50$- for 3 hours of gas money for driving (we o u Allan) ? $- to fix the 4 wheeler - and a 25 $ copay for a Cardiologist appointment for a check up on my heart after that little outing ; ) = Priceless

tired.

PS our christmas tree is still not decorated, we've been to lazy to put the decor on it. But soon, I will post a picture. It is now drinking 7-up and leaking sap all over our carpet and not smelling piney.
I keep thinking maybe I should have gone to Smiths like Em suggested and bought a 25$ piney smelling christmas tree. : )
But then we wouldn't have this awesome story?!

No comments:

Post a Comment