Layout

Sunday, August 26, 2012

my toothless man

I posted a picture of Jory on facebook the other day and didn't really explain much about his tooth and why he... is missing one.

So here's the story.

Jory had something called internal resorption, where basically... the root of the tooth dies and parts of the tooth are absorbed into the root, or something. Eventually the tooth ends up falling out (which sadly didn't happen despite Jory and my friend Charisse's wishes) or it could cause damage and bone decay to surrounding bone to the tooth.

Meet tiny tooth.

 
I took a picture of this picture, kept it in my phone, and looked at it daily until Mr. Schmidt asked me out. I love this picture! 

Growing up, Jory always had the... theory? That he wouldn't get his tooth fixed until after he was married, "so I know my wife married me not ONLY for my looks" haha. But sly little me got him to get a temporary cover for our wedding- knowing he'd eventually get it fixed- I knew he would regret it if he didn't.

So recently, we decided to get it fixed. Finally. His tooth was starting to get sensitive and we were starting to worry about bone damage and the little guy just falling out randomly (which we still think would have been funny). 

So 1,000 dollars later (insurance won't cover because it's cosmetic-and that's the only reason we had it done, for cosmetic reasons, right? dumb.) -my love has a implant drilled into his bone, a silver (beautiful) abutment and a nice big gap in the front of his face. 

But he's still adorable and I tell him it really doesn't bother me. 

But maybe it does? In the rush of getting to the hospital at 3:00 am last week Jory forgot his flipper (his tooth stuck to a fleshy colored retainer which is again, beautiful.

                                         
 (flipper)

While coming out of anesthesia from my surgery last week, I told the nurse that I was really embarrassed that they all would think we were white trash because Jory forgot his tooth- but I was really happy he was wearing his Bingham High t-shirt because that made him look really good. 

Thank goodness for that t-shirt. We most definitely don't want to be white trash.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this cracks me up. I love that he owns it and just goes out without it. A flipper tooth would bug me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha i love it! Remind me to tell you the most embarassing story about my "flipper"! Jory will love it!

    ReplyDelete